Tuesday, October 7, 2008

oh me of little faith...

P1020928I think I've mentioned that we've had a rough start to our first year of homeschooling through a virtual charter school.

My second grader tested into the third grade level in language arts, but thinks he should be exempt from anything work-related in that category.

Okie dokie. We'll see how that flies in high school.

P1020930 Because words were not adequate to describe the tears, whining and yelling, tempers, stomping and slamming of doors - I neglected to write about it.

My dear friend from college has been doing the same curriculum in another state for a year now and she constantly encouraged me to be patient.

It will get better.

When I turned a teary eye and angry heavy heart to the seasoned homeschooling moms in my life, they reminded me that the beginning of the school year is a transition for the entire family.

They were right. They were all right.

This week, we have finally hit our stride - and with happy hearts. We have been blowing through school stuff and finishing before lunchtime, leaving us with the afternoon for fun and crazy boy antics.

I'm so grateful. The boys are working at their own paces. They are sometimes skipping the unnecessary work that they already know and passing the assessments in order to move on to the next lesson. Other times they are spending a couple of extra days to learn and master the material.

That's what I love about homeschooling right now.

Reflecting on all of this, I realize that I have this habit of losing hope in the midst of trying seasons of parenting.

Sleep training.

Potty training.

Ridding tantrums.

Manners.

Eating what is served.

Honoring elders.

Treating each other like they want to be treated.

I could go on, but I think you can get it. In the moment, I think we'll never get to the other side of the trial. The behavior will never change. I try to make a million excuses for my boys. But I tell you what...

Perseverance is key.

All that consistent parenting that "they" talk about... it works.

When I get to the other side of these seemingly insurmountable challenges, I look back and see that time and perseverance are the keys to training behavior and attitudes.

Now if I can only remember this for the next test.

And by the way, I take such comfort in the fact that God never gives up on me!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am glad that your homeschooling is going well. As a classroom teacher, I never thought I could do it...teach my own. But the more I read about it....

    I'm a mom of two boys, so I kinda know what you go through. Although, half as many kids is most likely easier!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Messy and wonderful perfectly describes my life as a wife and mom of five. I'm passionate about advocating for orphans by telling their stories and encouraging adoption and orphan care. My schedule is messy and wonderful as I am charged with four sons and one daughter. We love living in our little mountain ski town. We do a little camping, a little skiing, a little hunting, and a lot of laughing and loving. Life is dirty and loud around here but we wouldn't want it any other way. Okay, maybe a little less dirty!

Popular Posts

Followers

Past Posts

Search This Site

Designed By

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved