Thursday, September 11, 2008

where were you?

I got this from Nicole's blog and thought it was appropriate for this day that none of us should forget.

challenger

Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster - January 28, 1986. I was in sixth grade and I specifically remember my teacher bringing the television into the classroom so we could watch the news coverage. The fact that a teacher was on board made it particularly emotional for everyone.

ocitybombing

The Oklahoma City Bombing - April 19, 1995. I was finishing up my junior year of college and I remember watching the coverage on my little 13 inch color t.v. in Olsen Hall. I remember sitting - stunned when pictures like this came on the screen.

dianafuneral Princess Diana’s Death - August 31, 1997. With three full months of marriage under my belt, hubby and I were visiting my dad and step-mom at their lake house in southwestern Michigan. I remember my dad coming into our bedroom (without knocking, I might add - I think he forgot I was in there WITH MY HUSBAND!) and telling us that she had died. Sad weekend. We watched the entire funeral coverage.

911neverforget Attack on the Twin Towers - September 11, 2001. I remember this day like it was yesterday. I was at our Ft. Myers, Florida home with our five month old baby boy... all was right in the world. My husband had just left for work and I was now a stay at home mom. Shortly after he left, he called me to tell me to turn on the t.v. I watched the second tower get hit and both of them fall, as well as watch as a reporter at the Pentagon got knocked over while reporting live during the attack there.

I have to say, I was forever changed. I heard a talk radio host today say that we all need to have the "September 12th mentality." I deliberately do not write about politics on my blog, but I will write just one thing today. Say what you want about George Bush's imperfections and mistakes, but the fact that we have not been attacked again in seven years is something I am grateful for and I think he and all the men and women behind the scenes have done very well.

I try to remember each day to live for the day, for we do not know what tomorrow might bring.

3 comments:

  1. Challenger--Senior year in HS. I was home sick from school and my mom dashed in and told me to turn on the TV.

    Oklahoma City--first year on my new job after grad school. I was at work and we were getting such spotty information. One guy was in a panic because he was from there and many of his friends worked downtown. It was so scary not knowing what was going on.

    Princess Diana--I was about to go roller blading. I feel like it was a Saturday, Labor Day weekend, and we were leaving later in the day to go to Canada for a bike race. Could not believe it.

    September 11, 2001--We were actually on vacation here in Colorado. I was watching "live" (not really live b/c we were on Mountain time where nothing is live anymore) coverage and saw Katie Couric talk about the first plane hitting. And while she was talking about it, we saw the second plane fly into the tower behind her on screen. I was terrified. Still am.

    You forgot to say where you were when Reagan was shot. Were born yet? Tee hee! I was in 7th grade math class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember them all just as clearly too! where I was and what I was doing....thanks for the reminder of all of them. such sad days, but like you said, I am so very thankful that the past 7 years have been without event.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Messy and wonderful perfectly describes my life as a wife and mom of five. I'm passionate about advocating for orphans by telling their stories and encouraging adoption and orphan care. My schedule is messy and wonderful as I am charged with four sons and one daughter. We love living in our little mountain ski town. We do a little camping, a little skiing, a little hunting, and a lot of laughing and loving. Life is dirty and loud around here but we wouldn't want it any other way. Okay, maybe a little less dirty!

Popular Posts

Followers

Past Posts

Search This Site

Designed By

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved