Monday, December 29, 2008

yearning to be

I treated myself to a Christmas present from me this year.  Now when I look at this chore:

P1030331

I look beyond (do you see it?) the dirty dishes and see this:

P1030337

I need a reminder.  The messes get overwhelming and the noise gets annoying.  I get embarrassed when guests arrive and my house isn't picture perfect (or.even.close).  I get self-conscious when I see other homes where friends seem to have it "all together."

In 2009 and beyond I want to be reminded to stay focused on my priorities.

I want to be the wife:
who remembers that marriage comes before mothering.
who is a refuge at the end of my husband's tough day.  
who knows what household items are important to my husband and gets them done.
who supports my husband's down time and expresses my appreciation for his hard work and provision for our family.

I want to be the mom:
that remembers that my son's heart is more important than
my inconvenience.
that chooses playing and reading over mopping and vacuuming.
that encourages fort making.
that remembers the days are long but the years are short.
that recognizes the difference between childishness and foolishness.
that leaves a legacy that points to Jesus Christ as Lord, creator
and sustainer.
that teaches her sons independence and when it is time, lets go.
that has sons who know beyond all else that their mom loves them.

I want to be the friend:
that is genuine - what you see is what you get.
who helps another friend without being asked.
who keeps a secret without doubt.
who can be trusted not to gossip.
that is loyal through tough times.
who accepts differences without judgement.
who invites a visitor in without excuses for the state of my home.

I want to be the child of God:
that loves others even when the emotions aren't there.
that serves out of pure gratitude for the price Christ paid for me.
that savors His word each day.
who is not ashamed of my faith and the journey that led me to Him.

I want to remember that life is messy.  The journey doesn't always look pretty, but we get only one journey.

And I want the happy memories!

9 comments:

  1. I love this, Laurie! That is my heart, too! Thanks for putting it into words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Sister!! Love your heart and perspective. Right on!

    You are great with putting what is on your heart and into words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah laurie - thanks for sharing that. i want that same thing and there it is for me - in your own words.
    happy new year friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said! I want to be that too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A resounding 'Amen' my friend...

    Praying God's blessing for your New Year

    ReplyDelete
  6. and that's why I love you....
    wish I could be more like you too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a truly beautiful post and I love your new wall plaque. What a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Kathy said, AMEN! I wish more people were like that...

    I want those things too, and I sure hope to have a wife that has a similar list. In fact, i can see my girlfriend writing something like that.

    Wonderful post, thank you.
    http://patienceloveandpleasure.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is very encouraging! I am only 17 years old but I certainly think of what it will be like when I have children, a husband, and a house of my own. This is a great way to look at all of those things :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Messy and wonderful perfectly describes my life as a wife and mom of five. I'm passionate about advocating for orphans by telling their stories and encouraging adoption and orphan care. My schedule is messy and wonderful as I am charged with four sons and one daughter. We love living in our little mountain ski town. We do a little camping, a little skiing, a little hunting, and a lot of laughing and loving. Life is dirty and loud around here but we wouldn't want it any other way. Okay, maybe a little less dirty!

Popular Posts

Followers

Past Posts

Search This Site

Designed By

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Flergs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved